Monday 15 June 2015

Roald Dahl's 'Boy' and 'Going Solo'

Okay, so I realise that Roald Dahl is technically a children's author, but to me his stories are timeless and I know to many (including me!) they are well loved. Many a time I'll come across something in everyday life that takes me back to his colourful, mischievous narratives. For a while now I've been eyeing up his two-part autobiography, and as luck would have it, it was a perfect, easy read to ease me back into reading for pleasure after the chaos of finishing my degree!



As I have a love for autobiographies anyway, I found this a compelling companion to my morning coffee, but it was more than about simply satisfying my nosy needs. Boy in particular is very reflective of Dahl's writing style in his children's books like The BFG, which is great as its incredibly insightful but so easy to read. I laughed along with the children's cunning plans to get revenge on the miserable shop keeper, and felt their pain of being in a boarding school where the cane was used as punishment. Fast forward a few years, Going Solo is all about Dahl's time in the RAF during the war and takes a slightly more adult tone, yet remains very personal and reminds us as readers that the people fighting were as ordinary as you or me. I'll admit myself that I sometimes need to be reminded of this instead of generalising and seeing the overall picture!

There was a particular passage in Boy which really stood out for me. In this passage, Dahl paints a writer's life as 'absolute hell' in comparison with a business man's lifestyle, and says that it is because a writer is their own manager, sets their own work hours, and can never come up with enough new ideas. It sounds like this is something that was really coming from his heart - the words were so passionately written. I'll admit that coming from someone I admire, from someone who I thought loved writing, it upset me a little! 

I feel like this is very close to the heart of many bloggers, including myself! I have to admit, it has always been my dream to be a writer in one way or another, and at the moment it very much remains a hobby. But who knows what will happen in the future?! I am under no illusion that a writing career  would be challenging, with definite peaks and troughs, but I'd like to think very enjoyable for the most part. Being my own boss would also be great as I like to think I'm super organised, although setting your own work hours could potentially upset the work-life balance that we're all supposed to maintain.

Right now, I feel very positive about having a career that involves writing, as I have always said I want my career to be something I love, that I'm passionate about, and isn't something I've just chosen because its well paid, or because its expected of me... where's the fun in that?! However, this is possibly because I'm fresh out of uni, so maybe ask me again if I'm still unemployed at Christmas! I wonder if my view of writing for a career will change to become sympathetic of Dahl's... I certainly hope not!!

What are your thoughts on this? Do full time bloggers or novelists agree that writing is a challenging but also rewarding job? 

Thanks for reading! x

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Roald Dahl, George's Marvellous Medicine was one of my favourite childhood books. I don't know much about him personally though so this would no doubt make for an interesting read. When I went to uni I studied writing for the first year but found the pressure of having to write made it more a chore and much less rewarding so I switched courses. Now I write for pleasure but would personally love to have another crack at writing professionally.

    ox Lucy
    www.theonewithlucy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww yeah, that was one of mine too! You should definitely give it a read, it's so interesting! Totally understand that, mine was restricting on creativity too which is why I started blogging. It's so nice to have some freedom in writing again. Thank you for reading!

      Delete