Saturday 2 July 2016

Top 10: My childhood favourite reads



Everyone, whether a reader or not, has a favourite book from their childhood. I've always been a reader, and even vaguely remember the first book I read; it had a purple cover and a little sheep, but I can't remember the title unfortunately.

There's something comforting about childhood stories and that reason differs for each person. For me, it's a combination of feeling comforted when reading before drifting off to sleep, and I distinctly remember the feeling of liberation which comes hand in hand with reading a book that sets a youthful imagination on fire.

I thought I'd share some of my favourites with you from different points of my childhood. They're in no particular order... it would be cruel to pick favourites!

1. The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton

So creative and imaginative - I reread this many, many times

2. Harry Potter (all of them!) by J. K. Rowling

I'm still waiting for my Hogwarts letter

3. The Famous Five by Enid Blyton

Loved the mischief these kids got themselves into. I wonder why I identified with the fun, mischievous ones... 

4. The Lottie Project by Jacqueline Wilson

I guess my love of history and research projects began at a young age... and now I have a degree in it. Who'd have thought it?

5. The Twits by Roald Dahl

Again with the mischief! I actually hate this book now, I'm so squeamish and the worms in the beard thing really freaks me out

6. The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse by Beatrix Potter

I loved (and still love) all of Beatrix Potter's stories, but those cheeky little mice in that dollhouse made for such a sweet tale

7. Mr Men and Little Miss series by Roger Hargreaves

Which one are you? I'm definitely Little Miss Chatterbox

8. Spot's Magical Christmas by Eric Hill

Just call me the Christmas fairy - I love anything to do with Christmas

9. Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

A must read for anyone fascinated by crafting with the English language...but be prepared for a little bit of madness

10. Beside The Sea (Hannah's Hotel) by Mark Burgess

A lesser known tale maybe, but the colourful characters were just so much fun. Oh, and it has my name in it. What child doesn't feel like a celebrity when this happens?

I don't really know if there was a point to this post, but its always a nostalgic talking point for me and I guess I'm just interested to hear what your favourite childhood reads were? Let me know!

Thanks for reading x


No comments:

Post a Comment