Saturday 9 July 2016

Book Review: The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella


For me, Sophie Kinsella's novels are always a bit hit and miss. I've always loved her books as a quick pick me up, a cheesy chick flick, an easy read; you always get what you're expecting. And, most of the time, that's great. I've lost count of how many of these witty, charming books I've read, most times, it's a winner for me.

I'm on holiday at the moment, and I really want to try and get through some of the books that have lined my shelves for years such as The Color Purple. However, to wind down at the start of my holiday I thought I would power through a few of the chick lit type (apologies if you hate that phrase but really, that's what it is) and I knew a Kinsella read would be just what I need.

Unsurprisingly, I haven't been disappointed. As you can see, the cover of this book is a cheerful creamy yellow with a girly illustration of a fashonista, clothes obsesses female - there's no debating about who this book is intended to be marketed towards!

For the first few chapters - actually, the first two thirds of the book - I was unsure as to whether or not I had read this before. Yes, it's an easy read and a little predictable, but for a quick holiday breezy read I didn't mind this too much. I found the protagonist, Rebecca Bloomwood, very frustrating as she fails to appreciate what she has. That is, a good job as a financial journalist and a shared flat with discounted rent in 'trendy Fulham'. Her downfall is that she circulates with an affluent friendship group and aspires to have a very materialistic lifestyle. The novel is centred around Rebecca's spiralling debt problem fuelled by a shopping habit and a love of nice clothes, which I'm sure you'll agree is ironic for a financial journalist! I'm all for driven women with aspirations, but for me, this just felt like it was for all the wrong reasons.

The ending of the novel was surprisingly unpredictable. I'd like to say that Rebecca discovers alternative motivations for working and seeking to better herself, but actually, she just discovers a drive to work hard, with a longer term aim of becoming more affluent and affording the lifestyle she desires rather than being in debt. For me, what makes this book so great is, as always, Kinsella's delightfully witty tone that emanates through her writing.

If you're looking for a perfect holiday chick lit, this is the one for you. Have you read any Sophie Kinsella books?

Thanks for reading! x

No comments:

Post a Comment