Saturday 30 April 2016

Review: Wild by Cheryl Strayed




My friend was moving to a new flat and was clearing out a load of books to take to a charity shop. I was thrilled when she gave me first pick and I chose two to add to my ever growing 'to read' list - no surprises there! Wild was a book she wasn't getting rid of but, to quote her directly, it's 'just one of those books you need in your life,' so I borrowed it without further questions. I didn't intend to read it straight away, but sometimes these things just happen....

There are so many words I could use to describe Wild - raw, emotional, honest, fierce and beautiful being but a few - though for the most part, the best way I can describe it is as a journey. Not just a literal journey, though on face value it really is the journey of Cheryl Strayed hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. It's a journey on so many other levels; as the cover of this copy states, it's 'A journey from lost to found,' a journey of self discovery, and an emotional journey for the reader from cover to cover.

Cheryl Strayed describes her turbulent start to life; with an abusive father and a caring mother, Strayed and her siblings fled with their mother to begin a new life with barely any money, but a great bond and lot's of love and determination. Despite this, she appreciated her mother and step-dad's efforts to keep their little family together, and even began to study a literature degree. It seemed as though life was just picking up for Strayed when her mother fell ill and died, leaving her degree incomplete. She then lost her way with life, divorced her supportive husband and ended up falling into a self-destructive lifestyle. Her journey on the Pacific Crest Trail was a way out of this, and Wild passionately describes her journey to finding herself.

Strayed is undoubtedly a talented writer and an intelligent woman, and her memoirs unashamedly betray her passion for writing. Throughout the memoir, she reads novels  - both revisiting old favourites and those new to her - and they have a lot of time dedicated to their descriptions, demonstrating how much they give her in terms of comfort and freedom throughout her lonely voyage of self-realisation. At first, I thought this was going to be a little dull - I mean, how exciting can it be reading about someone walking on a trail?! But, I love books about books, and books about writing, so I think that despite the fact I didn't  identify with her journey and struggles, I did connect with her passions, which is why I ended up enjoying reading this as much as I did.

If you're looking for simple, truthful story that is told straight from the heart, I think I've found the one for you. My friend was right; everyone needs this book in their life, no matter what your background because it has so many layers, I'm certain it will speak to each reader on some level.

Thanks for reading x

No comments:

Post a Comment