Sunday 15 May 2016

Review: Dubliners by James Joyce


Yes, that's right. I'm finally biting the bullet and dipping my toe into the world of James Joyce. I've been warned many a time not to bother reading the likes of Ulysses and A Portrait of the artist as a young man... but I like a challenge. And, chances are, if someone tells me not to do something, I'm probably going to go ahead and do it anyway, especially when it comes to reading! I decided that Dubliners, which has been sat on my shelf since it was a possible A level text, would be a great introduction to Joyce given that it's fairly slim, with only 250 pages to get through.

I began reading this when I had a couple of hours spare on a train and managed to get through 50 pages. I despise starting a new book on public transport because my attention span can be incredibly poor in busy environments, but I gave it a go. As suspected, I didn't get into it, failed to grasp the point of the text, and was confused as to why - four chapters in - I hadn't crossed the same character twice. It wasn't until I got home and picked it up again a couple of days later that I realised it was a collection of short stories... which makes so much more sense!

As someone who never reads short stories (apart from Tales of Beadle the Bard, of course) I found the structure of the collection quite difficult to get my head around. I found that the stories never felt finished, and that I never knew the ending, or fully understood the messaging. After a bit of investigation, I discovered that this was Joyce's intention. The protagonists of the collection are a range of adults and children who stand on the edge of middle-class society. The short stories were intended for the inhabitants of Ireland in the early 1900s to see themselves, and the problems of the lives they were living. An observational piece, Dubliners creates a cynical, and quite negative, snapshot of Dublin just after the turn of the century, depicting the mundane routine and the desire to escape it.

The stories themselves are beautifully written. The wording is simple but effective, and flows in a way that encourages the reader to feel at one with the ordinary characters featuring throughout. Joyce's narrative style remains detached, as though he was simply sat on a bench describing what he was seeing in Dublin, but not passing judgement himself.

Once I understood the context of Dubliners, I was able to appreciate the value of the collection not just as a selection of short stories, but as a potential historical source. Overall, I think it's a really perceptive piece of fiction that creates an image of life in early twentieth century Ireland. However, I will hold my hands up and admit that I didn't read the last short story as I was a little bored by this point, but I'd read enough of the collection to appreciate it's purpose.

I think I'd like to try some more short stories, so if you've any to recommend, do let me know!

Thanks for reading x

No comments:

Post a Comment