Saturday 11 June 2016

Book Review: Witch & Wizard by James Patterson


I recently read a YA book to see what all the fuss was about, seeing as there are so many of you YA reviewers out there. I wanted to see why YA fiction is appealing to so many people who are over the age of 18, and who would not generally be classified as the typical market for this kind of book. I've also heard great things about James Patterson's books and thought he would be a great author to begin with for my foray into YA fiction.

I picked up Witch and Wizard - the first book in the series - as I'd had it sitting on my shelf for years. Personally, I don't think it was for me. I enjoy books which are 'well written', though I understand that for many people this in itself is subjective. In this case, I thought the language was over simplistic and didn't attempt to do anything interesting with sentence structure that might have made the read more compelling. As the novel was plot driven, I expected more to happen; I wanted more action, more adventure, and less 'writing in' to each plot milestone.

On the other hand, it was an easy read, and I appreciate that I'm not used to reading YA fiction. I may have enjoyed reading this when I was much younger, but I don't think that this is a genre I will be exploring much further I'm afraid. Despite the novel's faults, the concept of children saving the world from meanie adults, and a new political system, was rather fun. The innocence of children often exposes the harsh realities of the adult world, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it turned out that this novel was intended to be slightly allegorical - alas, I feel that it is just fantasy.

Sorry folks, you can't say I didn't try! Maybe I was reading the wrong book. Let me know in the comments if you have any YA recommendations for me.

Thanks for reading x

No comments:

Post a Comment